วันเสาร์ที่ 30 มกราคม พ.ศ. 2553
Sanam Chan Palace
Aged 100 years old, Sanam Chan Palace still re¬tains the significant role that it had in the past, although its architecture and structure have been renovated several times. This indicates that this old palace deserves being preserved as part of the local and national heritage.
Constructed in 1907 near the end of the reign of King Chulalongkorn (Rama V), Sanam Chan Palace in Nakhon Pathom province is recognized as a sacred structure that has seen many events of historical significance. The name `Sanam Chan Palace' was granted by King Vajiravudh (Rama VI); it was formerly called 'Noen Prasat', as this area is believed to have been the location of an ancient palace. A large pond, which was called 'Sa Nam Chan', presently 'Sa Bua' (lotus pond), is found nearby. The name 'Sanam Chand Palace' is derived from Sa Nam Chan.
When he was the Crown Prince, King Vajiravudh intended to
build Sanam Chan Palace as his residence during his trip to Nakhon Pathom to pay homage to Phra Pathom Chedi (the Great Pagoda) and to spend time there. He also wanted to construct this palace as a stronghold to fight national crises, as Sanam Chan compound was considered a strategic site.
For this reason, King Vajiravudh bought a plot of about 888 rai (355 acres) from a local villager, and he assigned Luang Phithakmanop to design and construct the palace. Sanam Chan still retains the significant role that it had in the past, although its architecture and structures have been renovated several times. This indicates that this old palace deserves being preserved as part of the local and national heritage.
The Sanam Chan compound consists of both Thai and Western-style buildings blended harmoniously. King Vajiravudh ordered the construction of halls, residences, and a monument. These buildings include Phra Thi Nang Phiman Pathom, Phra Thi Nang Aphirom Ruedi, Phra Thinang Watchari Rommaya, Phra Thi Nang Samakkhi Mukkhamat, Prasat Si Wichai, Thewalai Khanet, Sala Thammathet Olan, Phra Thinang Patihan Thatsanai, Phra Thi Nang Chali Mongkhon At, Phra Thinang Mari Ratcharat Banlang, Phra Tam Nak Thap Kaeo, and Phra Tamnak Thap Khwan.
Built in 1907, Phra Thi Nang Phiman Pathom was built as the first hall to be the royal residence of King Vajiravudh, who also used it for his study and as an audience hall and a reception hall to welcome royal guests. This two-story concrete building is in the Western style with intricately carved designs. Next to this hall to the south is Phra Thi Nang Aphirom Ruedi, also in the Western style, which served as the residence of Queen Intharasaksachi, the consort of King Vajiravudh.
Phra Thinang Watchari Rommaya, a Thai-style house with a roof decorated with chofa (hornlike finial), bai raka (toothlike ridges on the sloping edges of a gable), nak sadung (figure of the carved Naga), and hang hong (small finials jutting out of the two corners of the gable), was used occasionally as a royal study room. It is connected with Phra Thinang Samakkhi Mukkhamat, large audience hall. King Vajiravudh used it as the meeting place for scouts and the rehearsal venue for khon (masked dance) and other performances. This building can accommodate a large number of people, and it is often called Tong Khon', or a theater for khon. Today, a classical dance is performed only on weekends.
Phra Thi Nang Patihan Thatsanai is a small hall built as a place where the King viewed Phra Pathom Chedi. Among the royal residences is Phra Tamnak Thap Khwan, which features a group of eight one-story houses, consisting of four main houses and four small ones. They are all made of teak, and a veranda connects them all. Not one single nail was used in putting each part of the houses together. Fine and dedicate craftsmanship in woodcarving is evident in many parts of the complex.
According to historical records, King Vajirvudh wanted to build this residence in order to preserve traditional Thai houses. He presided over the opening ceremony and stayed overnight at the residence on January 25, 1912.
Phra Tamnak Chali Mongkhon At and Phra Thi Nang Mari Ratcharat Banlang, both in the Western style, stand prominently in the Sanam Chan compound. The names of these two buildings were derived from the play 'My Friend Jarlet', inspired by King Vajiravudh, who translated it into Thai as `Mit Thae'.
Phra Tamnak Chali Mongkhon At was built in 1908 and it is in the mixture of French Renaissance and the half timber architecture of England. The two-story building has a red roof. The upper floor includes a study room, a bedroom, and the bathroom. The lower floor to the west is a waiting room for an audience. During the Sixth
Reign, it was used as the King's residence, in his capacity as commander of scouts, and as a scout training center. The King frequently stayed at this building late in his reign.
In front of Phra Tamnak Chali Mongkhon At is a monument to Ya-Le, a favorite dog of King Vajiravudh. It is made of copper, with a statement written by the King in memory of the dog, which had been shot dead. On the upper floor of this hall is a bridge with a tile roof, linking to Phra Tamnak Mani Ratcharat Banlang, a red two-story teak house in the neo-classical style.
In the middle of Sanam Chan is Thewalai Khanet, a shrine of Ganesha, the elephant-headed Hindu god of arts. From Phra Thi Nang Phiman Pathom, we can view clearly Phra Pathom Chedi, Thewalai Khanet, and Phra Thinang Phiman Pathom, located on the same line.
At present, Sanam Chan Palace is under the supervision of the Bureau of the Royal Household. It is open to visitors every day, between 9:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m., except on public holidays.
On the occasion of the celebrations of His Majesty the King's 80th birthday, December 5, 2007, coinciding with the centenary of Sanam Chan Palace in Nakhon Pathom province, the Bureau of the Royal Household, Nakhon Pathom province, and Silpakorn University have agreed to join hands in organizing the centennial celebrations of Sanam Chan Palace from November 23 to December 2, 2007, between 9:00 a.m. and 10:00 p.m. This event is also meant to honor King Bhumibol Adulyadej and King Vajiravudh. The general public is invited to participate in various activities as part of the celebrations and appreciate the delightful atmosphere of Sanam Chan Palace at night time. For more information, please call the Office of the Sanam Chan Palace, tel. 0-3424-4236-7, or fax. 0-3424-4235.